Have you recently heard those four little words no guy is prepared to hear? “I think I’m pregnant.” Who knew those four words could cause so much fear in the heart of a guy? If your partner recently said those words, we have some help and advice for you.
Your Opinion Matters
It is normal to feel overwhelmed and wonder what you are going to do. It is also okay to wish she was not pregnant. Reality is, however, she is pregnant and you are going to be a dad.
The woman in your life needs you to support her by talking and letting her know she has options. Both of you need to be comfortable with the final decision you make. We can help you. Give us a call!
What to Do Now
If you have suddenly learned you are a father, there are a number of things you should do.
- First of all, stay calm. Stick together in order to decide what to do next.
- Verify the pregnancy. Come to The Hope Clinic with her. Ask that she take a confidential pregnancy test free of charge to confirm the pregnancy.
- If the test is positive, she should have a limited ultrasound verification. The ultrasound will tell you if the pregnancy is viable (a heartbeat is detected) and how far along she is. Knowing the date of conception will help you both.
- Learn about your options. Our client advocates are available free of charge.
- Listen to her feelings and share yours. Ask each other some important questions. “Are we ready to be parents?” “How do you feel about abortion?” “Would you consider making an adoption plan?” The decision can seem overwhelming, but talking it through and coming to a mutual decision is best for everyone.
- Schedule an appointment at The Hope Clinic just to talk. Come by yourself if you would like. We want to help both of you.
What Not To Do
In light of learning about the unexpected pregnancy, there are a number of things you should not do.
- Do not bail on your responsibility. Running from the decision just makes it harder to think and act in everyone’s best interest.
- Do not pressure her. Now is the time to talk and work through this together.
- Do not forget to take your share of the responsibility. You played a role in this situation and you owe it to her to see it through.
You Are Important.
Many men say they wish they had been a part of the decision-making process. Without the opportunity to ask questions and learn their options, you can feel helpless and deceived. The team at The Hope Clinic wants to help you work through the process. All of our conversations are confidential and free of charge. Contact us today.